Thursday, July 26, 2012

Class Reading--July 26

     After reading the book chapter on Developing Thoughtful Comprehenders in Classrooms that work,  I have really thought about some aspects of reading instruction that I would like to use in the future. The first thing I really liked was the concept of a "think-aloud." I think this works best with really young learners, but can also be used at aid older learners. I would like to teach 4th or 5th grade, and when you think of "think-aloud" or "read-aloud" you normally think of children that are younger. This being said, I do think that it can be beneficial for older students as well.Relating to what we had learned earlier in the semester, allowing students to see what you think, read, and write is a great way to encourage them to do the same. Another thing I liked about the article is the concept of a KWL chart. I think these are great for almost anything and can be applied to almost all subject matter. I was even thinking about using this in a math lesson. I have always struggled with math and I think this would fit in great with a lesson on any type of math. This also aids in the process of comprehension when reading, which is so very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment